Pennington CE Junior School Curriculum Statement
Our core values of Love, Respect, Perseverance and Courage are key in all we do, and underpin our aim to promote excellence and enjoyment throughout the curriculum. We believe that secure, confident children learn best, and aim to provide children with a broad, rich and exciting curriculum that promotes high standards. We aspire to help our children understand how they learn best, to encourage them to ask questions and be inquisitive, creating learning experiences that lay the foundations for life.
We make cross curricular links where possible and encourage children to explore the world around them, learn about our rich culture and further develop and practise their literacy and maths skills. We find opportunities to apply writing skills across the curriculum. Our curriculum is based on the 2014 National Curriculum.
Our curriculum changes and evolves constantly. We are always looking for new ways to capture the imagination of our children so topics may change in their delivery style and content from year to year.
Parents and carers are informed about out curriculum through termly curriculum letters which are sent home and can be found on our website.
In school we aim to ensure our curriculum:
- Meets statutory requirements
- Is broad and balanced
- Offers first hand experiences wherever possible
- Has clear progression in skills over the four years in school
- Allows children to grow and develop in their learning
- Encompasses all aspects of the curriculum including the arts and physical development
- Supports vulnerable groups and individuals
- Fosters pride in themselves and in their local community
- Promotes health and well being
- Fulfills the requirement to promote British values
- Supports children to learn about their place in a multicultural society.
We have high expectations of our children. Our approach to assessment for learning encourages a partnership between teacher and pupil in finding the next steps in learning.
As a Church of England school, we have a strong partnership with our local church, St Mark’s, Pennington. We enjoy a positive relationship with the church and feel our curriculum is enriched by the work we do together. We are committed to high quality RE education and have a shared understanding of Spirituality.
Please feel free to contact us if you would like to find out more about our curriculum.